Embrace your inner weirdo! It’s far more fun than desperately trying to be something your not, and far less tiring too. I’ve always been a bit of a weirdo (in a good way, not a call the cops because I’m scary kinda way). I’m generally drawn to people who are a little bit kooky, and I’m certainly from a family of slightly kooky people (although they don’t always see it) and just to prove I’m a happy we weirdo here’s twenty-five reasons I’m a weirdo.
- I like to sleep on the opposite side to the bedroom door – so if badies turn up my partner can defend me. Of course I’m assuming all badies enter via the door and not the window.
- I’m right handed but also wear my watch on my right hand purely because my Dad does.
- I get embarrassed for people on TV sometimes and can’t watch, including fictional people.
- My Dad is an auctioneer, and I desperately want him to read them lyrics to Eminem Lose Yourself – because it would be funny, right?
- On my first day at my new primary school when I was 6 I decided to read poetry to the class, entirely unprompted.
- I sing the entire drive to and from work every weekday, even though it leaves me with a sore throat.
- I can’t sleep with the wardrobe doors in our bedroom open, in case my childhood fear of the clothes turning into people is legitimate.
- I LOVE to people watch… and often get caught out.
- I pull faces when I type, write, read, watch TV, talk…. I can’t help it.
- I don’t really like birds, especial chickens, but I do like sketches of birds.
- I want a pet goat.
- My Nana jokingly told me as a kid that eating the bread crusts would put hair on my chest (or perhaps she was talking to my little brother)… even now each time I eat a crust I’m a little concerned she might have actually been telling the truth.
- I’ve never got my university degree framed or even picked up the photos of me walking across the stage and getting my degree.
- Sometimes in winter I go to bed early purely because I really like my electric blanket.
- I gave up Speech and Drama at intermediate so I could watch the TV series F.R.I.E.N.D.S… and I don’t regret that.
- At about age 6 I was convinced I couldn’t smile properly and spent weeks practicing.
- When I was a child I really really really wanted glasses and when my eye test determined I didn’t need them I suggested to my Mum I might need a hearing aid instead.
- I joined Twitter purely to prove a point.
- I’m determined to make something out of pallets… by I mean we, by we I really mean my partner.
- I have four “project” chairs. Two I’ve started, two I haven’t, all of which I’ve had for 2-6 years.
- I wish I was a cat, they seem to do a good job of sleeping and always look cosy.
- I respect fellow weirdos more than non-weirdos.
- My cat Timmy and my dog Rufus both need bow ties – I’m sure of it.
- My very dreams are the ones in which I create kick-ass things off Pinterest or stumble across amazing finds in junk shops.
- TradeMe is an easy way for me to kill time… I love scrolling through piles piles of random listings on TradeMe.
I was told today “weirdos often don’t like weirdos who are a different type of weirdo to themselves” (phew, trying saying that ten times fast) which I think is plan old WEIRD, don’t be that kind of weirdo. We’re a little different, embrace it.